Thursday, December 31, 2009

Oregon tax Measuers 66 & 67




The state is lying to you. As far as the $10, that is a strongly twisted statement. The minimum tax increased from $10-$150. If I made nothing last year with my business.... just managed to break even... I have to pay $150. The part they decided not to discuss is that all businesses will be required to pay taxes based on gross receipts, rather than on profit. Using simple, rough numbers, I will give you an illustration. Let's say I have a company making widgets. I started this company up this year which required an initial outlay for the building of $50,000 for rent. My machinery cost me another $100,000. There are always office supplies needed to a tune of $25,000. I have to hire 2 employees at $40k each + benefits which cost me another $20,000. I sell $150,000 worth of widgets to Company B and another $100,000 to Company C. My gross receipts are $250,000. With measure 67, I will pay taxes on that $250,000. BUT, in order to run this business, it cost me $230,000. I actually only made $20,000. And I didn't even figure in my own wages. I didn't talk about the regulations and the licensing! How many small businesses are going to stay in business? If they don't shut down their business, they will have to lay off. Businesses that manage to survive will have to raise prices and that affects everyone significantly.

Now, let's discuss Measure 66. The state and unions are eager to tell you that the evil rich people need to pay more taxes. They define the evil rich as those making $125k individual or $250k/ couple. The fact is that these people pay 90% of the taxes now, but here is the kicker: If you own your own very small business, i.e. a home-based business and are a sole proprietor, you will file your business income and expenses on your personal income tax return. This includes our ranchers and farmers. if you do your own taxes, you know that we first do federal, then use our 'adjusted gross income' to figure our state taxes. Not anymore for those in this group! Now, they must pay on their gross income, much like the corporations listed in measure 67. We are in the same scenario. what are they going to do? Shut down. they can not afford to ranch or farm anymore. This affects your next door neighbor. This affects you.

Did they mention that all these taxes are retroactive to January 1, 2009? Oops! Must have been an oversight!

They are very slick at putting together their arguments and that is why we must educate people to the best of our ability. That is why I spent 5 hours phone banking on this last week and why I will be doing 4 hours next week and why I will be phone banking from home. People need to know how this affects them personally. Thank you for the opportunity to explain this. It is only by challenging the propaganda machine that we get answers. I will be truthful and honest with my answers.... will they?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. Please, leave a comment and I will re-read it and post (usually) within a couple of hours.